Getting started with video game collecting can be as simple or as hard as you want to make it. As long as it is fun and you are passionate about it is all that truly matters in my mind.
There are so many avenues that you can take when it comes to video game collecting
Here are some examples of where a lot of people start:
- Collecting your favorite games (I suggest people start here)
- Getting entire collections of a genre or system (this could take a while)
- Collecting CIB (Complete In Box) games
- Collecting sealed/ new games (get you pocket book out :-))
- Collecting memorabilia or advertising
- Collecting video game art
- Even collecting arcade games
- And the list goes on….
If you are just starting, it is too much to look at everything. My personal route and my suggestion would be to start where your heart pulls you to and focus there. It is so easy to get side tracked and you will blow your budget on things that are not where you want to focus.